St.Joseph the Worker Parish
Fr.Miguel Gomez of the Society of Jesus was very first Spanish priest to evangelize Catubig which was to be the first cabecera from whence the Christianization of the northern and eastern portions of Samar was to start. But after the missionaries realized that the place was too far removed and too deep into the interior, they decided to move their mission center to Palapag circa 1605-1606.Even after the transfer, the missionaries did not totally abandon Catubig.As a visita of Palapag,a priest would come every now and then to minister to the community.
Between 1768 and 1858, the Moros abducted hundreds of people from villages along the coasts and rivers. The worst recorded tragedy in a single year was around 1774 or 1775 when the marauders razed Catubig to the ground and killed an unestimated number of people. This greatly reduced the number of taxpayers thereby prompting the authorities to revert Catubig (which was then somewhere in the area where Las Navas is now) back to her barrio status under the jurisdiction of Palapag until 1784 when she came under Laoang.records show that since 1697 until 1716 Catubig had church was built by one Fr.Placiencia.Around the 18th century, Cagninipa (the old name of Catubig) had become a progressive pueblo exporting palay, abaca, and fruits to albay in Bicolandia.