Today as the online shopping grows in popularity more people are turning to online shopping for all their needs. Clothes, shoes, products, even groceries can now are purchased via the internet. A lot of pros have come from this; no waiting in lines or in traffic, you can shop from the convenience of your home in your pjs, easier to do comparison shopping, discounts and you can shop at ANY time without restrictions. Online furniture stores are also increasing in popularity, and will continue to increase as the internet grows. Many people are choosing to skip the trip and purchase their sofas and other home furnishing from the comfort of their home. With that said, here is some food for thought before you shop online.
– You can search for exactly what you’re looking for quicker. There are many online stores who specialize in a certain type of sofa or style that you may be looking for and a quick google search will bring you to that site. If you love knowing the newest styles, or having unique pieces then online shopping makes it easier to do so.
– Instead of driving around wasting gas or spending hours on the bus in travel time you can visit all the stores that you’re interested in at once. This eliminates time going from store to store to see what is available and at what price.
– Easier to find discounts on the sofa you’re looking for by “Googling”, going on Ebay, Amazon and many other websites out there offering deals. Online stores usually offer online specials as well, and there are multiple websites dedicated to sharing these deals with you.
– You usually have to wait long periods of time to receive your sofa. Sometimes, this can even take up to a month or longer if being shipped from overseas. There could be delays on the delivery, or miscommunication and you can’t go to the store or get in contact with someone face to face. Usually, there is no one to ease your frustration about any delays that occur.
– Shipping costs on your item can be extremely high in comparison to what you paid for the sofa, sometimes making the purchase not worth it.
– Sometimes looks can be deceiving. You don’t get to test the product before you buy it. What might have looked beautiful to you in picture might not live up to your expectations once received. Then what?
– If it’s an online store that doesn’t have a local store in your area, returning the sofa will be a HUGE hassle. Make sure before you purchase online that you are clear on the stores return policies. Make sure that no matter how good the deal is that you have the option to return if need be. You wouldn’t want to spend 500+ dollars on furniture you can’t bring back.
– Another factor to remember about returns. You will have to pay the charge for shipping it back, repackaging, and stocking in most cases, unless it’s a manufacturing problem.
I think online shopping is great. I’ve recently caught the online shopping bug and do most my shopping online. As a new mom I don’t always have time to go do the store. I love the convenience of being able to shop at 2 in the morning and the ease of comparision shopping and knowing that i’m getting the best prices.
Buying furniture online is also great for that exact reason, multiple furniture stores at the click of a button. However, I think getting the feel for your sofa is VERY important. At Modern Sensibility we always encourage everyone to come to the store and sit on the sofas to see if they like them or not. Many people are pickier than others and seeing the furniture online may seem like a good idea to them at first, but then they receive it and it’s a big disaster. Now, add the frustration of exchange/returns on a sofa you’re not happy with spells bigger disaster! I think that’s the only drawback. Other than that, online shopping is a fun convenient way to shop. My only advice is be safe, be smart and make sure you’re buying from a reputable website. Do your research just like you would any other store.